Maintain Health at Home During Lockdown
“A sound body houses a sound mind.”
Health at home, during quarantine? Lying on the couch slouching, being lazy, eating a pack of chips with a bottle of coke? That isn’t much help.
With all that’s going on with COVID-19, get healthy stay healthy is the new cool. Being physically and mentally fit is more important than ever now.
COVID-19 has disrupted our daily routines to no end. Everyone knows the get healthy stay healthy regime. Activities like shopping runs,, and dine-in cancelled. People who were into athleticism are into slouching like a sloth or sprawled across the couch or the bed binge-watching Netflix or The CW.
Quarantine means more time at home. More time at home means ease of mind. Letting loose. Letting loose equals to slouching and being lazy.
“There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.”
Health at Home: A Hardihood Diet
The first thing in the ‘get healthy stay healthy’ handbook is a good diet. Eating healthy is the first step to being healthy during the lockdown. Say no to junk food and stay healthy. Junk food is full of carbs that make love handles stand out. No one wants that!
Greens are the better alternative to a junk or fast food choice. Here we have salad ingredients, some lettuce leaves, raw onions (sliced), boiled vegetables like peas, some carrots and some tomatoes pureed on it.
Even though not all are comfortable with eating vegetables; if you put your imagination to work, it is a yummy treat. But you’ve got to do it to stay healthy.
Fun & Easy Healthy DIY Food to Make at Home:
- Mac and Cheese: The best pasta, easy to make, a fun way to start your day. The best breakfast option. A must recommend.
- Chorizo & Mozzarella Gnocchi: A bit sceptical by the name. A mouthful if you ask me. But, the dish itself is mouth-watering.
- Thai Fried Pawn with a side of Pineapple Rice: A Thai heritage dish. Takes around a whole hour to make for beginners but lessens to half an hour for novice cooks. But, it’s a good way to kick off a family dinner. Soft, mushy and tangy at the same time.
- Spaghetti with Nduja, Fennel & a dash of chopped Olive: Hot and spicy. A bit barbeque-like if you’d ask me. A must-try for spice lovers. Sausage-like and gives those taste bids quite a stir.
- Easy Chicken Fajitas: Nothing beats an Italian dish with a side of your own custom sauce of ketchup. Also known as the perfect dinner food for couples. It has the perfect ratio of salt, vinegar and some black pepper to it. That makes you moan out how delicious it is.
- Classic Lasagne: Have any of you have ever watched Garfield back in the late 1980s? Then you probably know where this is going. Garfield liked lasagne so much, to the point of worshipping it. It tastes so good when one spoon’s in,, and the rest goes in running.
“Garfield is the one that made lasagne a trending dish in the Britain community back in the early 2000s.”
Coordinate and Balance yourself with Yoga:
The second most important thing in the ‘get healthy stay healthy’ handbook is easing your body. Physically and mentally. Want to get a relaxing feel in those sore and aching muscles? Do a cobra stretch and ease those tense muscles—an easy way to get in shape and stay healthy. Also, a great way to do the fitness at-home routine. Health at home starts with the ease of the mind and body. A stressed mind doesn’t do much good.
In the mood for something more intense and long-lasting?
Here are some postures for kicking it off to a great start.
- Adha Mukha Svanasana: Sech those calves and make it show. Sweat and burn off those stressful thoughts and put your mind at ease.
- Tadasana: Having problems with your back? Aching shoulder muscles? Ease them with an easy posture like this one.
- Warrior I & Warrior II: Poses like these are for people who are shaping their body and toning their muscles. It’ll strengthen your legs and shoulder muscles, without a contracted muscle hopingly. Also, it tones the abdomen to make it look slimmer and fitter.
- Utthita Parsvakonasana: A more intensified pose of Warrior I & II. But, only now it helps with the hips and chest as well.
Last but not least, in the ‘get healthy stay healthy’ handbook is working out. Some of us envy people with tined and defined bodies. We want the same physique and want to stay healthy as well. Well, as a matter of fact, almost all of us. But, working out does more than give you a drool-worthy body, and make your cleavages fall out. It makes you strong. Fitness at home is the easiest way to stay in shape. Health at home is essential, for a good routine during house arrest in lockdown.
Nowadays, we can consult with a virtual coach rather than going to a gym for a physical session.
I’ve taken the liberty to align the categories below ranging from a beginner’s routine to an expert’s routine.
- Beginner (newbie): To stay healthy, one thinks of a workout as the first and foremost. Someone new to fitness at home, there will be under a lot of pretence pressure. But, for some, saying this would be an understatement. To begin anew, you should know the basics:
- Do a small prep-up before working out. It gets your muscles warmed up to avoid muscle contractions.
- Take a short jog around half a kilometre, and it’ll get those calves sweating.
- After getting warmed up, do a few simple exercises like crunches, twists, squats, and a few pull-ups or push-ups.
- Novice (intermediate): People who go on walks daily or go out for a 5k jog or run. They are more motivated towards fitness at home and taking it up a notch every time they workout. They feel as if it’s still not enough. This thought often helps you elevate to another level of working out and helps one achieve one’s best.
- Athlete (expert): Being ripped has more to it than having defined abs and body figures. Or you are having biceps the size of a decker mac n’ cheeseburger. It’s part of the stay healthy routine. But nonetheless, fitness at home is a great way to keep your physique in check.